communications system for battalion command and control and support elements.
(8) The scout platoon is responsible for training and operating the three scout squads.
(9) The mortar platoon provides the battalion with close and immediate indirect fire support.
(10) The antiarmor platoon provides long-range antiarmor fires in support of the battalion.
(11) The battalion support platoon consists of a platoon HQ and a transportation section that
delivers supplies to the battalion's companies.
(12) The battalion medical platoon sorts, treats, and evacuates the sick and wounded.
(13) The unit ministry team, supervised by the battalion chaplain, provides for the religious
needs of the battalion's soldiers.
b. The three rifle companies close with the enemy by means of fire and maneuver to destroy or
capture him, or to repel his assault by fire, close combat, and counterattack. There are 130 soldiers (5
officers and 125 enlisted) in each rifle company (Figure 1-5).
Figure 1-5. Organization of a rifle company