Sodium hydroxide--A combustible chemical which heats spontaneously when in contact with
moisture and air.
Potassium permanganate is explosive when treated with sulfuric acid, and a fire hazard if mixed
Alcohols--Vaporize at low temperatures, and due to the low flash point, are a dangerous fire
A CYANIDE AND AN ACID SHOULD NEVER BY MIXED, BECAUSE THEY WILL PRODUCE A
DEADLY POISONOUS GAS.
There are three ways in which photo lab personnel could be poisoned.
Ingestion--The taking of chemicals into the digestive system by using beakers or similar vessels as
Inhalation of fumes, mist, and dust--The chemical mixing room is a hazardous area.
chemical mix area must have a good ventilation system.
Skin contact--This is the most likely method of becoming poisoned. Photographers are often
reluctant to use rubber gloves or print tongs. This is not only foolish but potentially dangerous.
BASIC CHEMICAL SAFETY RULES:
ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING WHEN POURING STRONG ACIDS OR ALKALIES.
ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER--NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID.
NEVER MIX AN ACID AND A CYANIDE.
PROMPTLY WASH DOWN ANY SPILLS.
READ AND OBEY ALL WARNING LABELS ON DANGEROUS CONTAINERS.
POST A LIST OF ANTIDOTES IN STORAGE AND MIXING ROOMS.
STORE ALL CHEMICALS IN A COOL, DRY, DARK SPACE.