Inspection and Operating Checks
Rewind the film and remove it from the camera before carrying out
the following procedures.
(1) Remove the lens from the camera body.
(2) Lock the mirror up.
(3) Open the back of the camera.
(4) Remove the pentaprism by squeezing both release buttons (figure
129) with your fingers and sliding the pentaprism toward the rear of the
(5) Remove the viewfinder screen by lifting up on the rear edge with
your fingernail (figure 130). (There is a notch on each side to make this
(6) For easier cleaning of the viewing window, unscrew the eyepiece
(7) Check the pressure plate (figure 125) for scratches, pits, and dirt;
clean if required (para 82a(2)(b)).
(8) Check the interior of the camera body for dust, film clips, and
foreign particles; clean if required (para 82a(2)(a)).
b. Shutter operation.
(1) Remove the lens and open the back of the camera body as in a above.
(2) Point the camera body toward a light area and look at the rear of
the shutter curtain.
(3) Turn the film advance lever until it stops and then press the
shutter release button.
(4) Repeat this for each speed on the shutter speed dial.