(2) A Vulcan battery in the air defense battalion of a heavy or airborne division consists of a
battery HQ, three Vulcan platoons, and one Stinger platoon. A Vulcan battery in an air assault division
consists of a battery HQ and three Vulcan platoon (Figure 1-2, page 1-4). The battery can be tasked
organized to support a particular mission of the air defense battalion.
(3) A Stinger battery is composed of a battery HQ and three Stinger platoons. The battery
can be tasked organized to support the air defense battalion's mission.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Signal Officer.
a. Within the air defense battalion, the signal officer has both staff and unit responsibilities.
The battalion signal officer serves as a member of the battalion staff and also directs and supervises the
unit's signal elements. General responsibilities for all signal officers, regardless of the type of unit
assigned, are contained in Appendix A of FM 11-50, Combat Communications Within the Division
(Heavy and Light).
b. Specific responsibilities of the signal officer assigned to a divisional air defense battalion
(1) Advising the battalion commander and staff on all signal support matters.
(2) Directing and supervising the HHB communications section.
(3) Planning, coordinating, and supervising the installation, operation, and maintenance of
the battalion's single-channel radio and internal wire line communications.
(4) Coordinating with the division signal battalion S3 and the assistant division signal officer
for access into the multichannel or the Mobile Subscriber Equipment (MSE) network.
(5) Planning for and supervising the installation, operation and maintenance of all user-
owned terminal equipment (telephones, facsimile, and data terminals). Under MSE, the user is
responsible for connecting the terminal equipment to the distribution boxes (J-1077) or remote multiplex
combiner (RMC). The division signal battalion installs the J-1077 or the RMC.
(6) Planning and supervising the installation, operation, and maintenance of mobile
(7) Serving as the battalion communications security (COMSEC) officer.
(8) Preparing the signal estimate and signal annex.