(3) Guards are stationed within sight of the facility when there is no supplemental protection. A
physical barrier against entry is one type of supplemental protection. Guards are posted if there is a possibility of
unauthorized vehicle removal.
(4) A guard post or a patrol may be used if it is supplemented by an alarm system. The response time
for a reaction force should not exceed 5 minutes. If a vehicle is involved, the alarm system must be implemented
so there is no possibility of unauthorized vehicle removal.
Protecting stored COMSEC material.
a. Storage protects COMSEC material or information when it is not under the direct and continuous
control of properly cleared and authorized personnel. Some storage methods are security containers and vaults.
They may be supplemented by alarms and guards. The protection of classified COMSEC material is presumed
when it is used by, in the physical possession of, or continuously attended by properly cleared personnel.
Different security standards are needed for the different classification levels involved. These levels are TOP
SECRET, SECRET, and CONFIDENTIAL.
(1) TOP SECRET material is stored in a GSA approved safe-type security file cabinet. It may also
be stored in a Class A vault or in an alarm-equipped or guarded area.
(2) SECRET material may be stored by any of the TOP SECRET storage methods noted above.
Other methods are a GSA-approved steel file with a built-in, three-position, dial-type combination lock, or a Class
(3) CONFIDENTIAL material may be stored by any of the TOP SECRET or SECRET storage
methods noted above. It may also be stored in a steel file cabinet with a built-in, changeable, three-position
(4) UNCLASSIFIED CRYPTO key is stored using the same methods used for classified key, if
practicable. It may also be stored in the most secure manner available to the user.
b. COMSEC equipment and components are in either an operational or a nonoperational configuration.
The following are differences in storage requirements:
(a) These unkeyed items are stored in the same manner set forth for material of the same
(b) Unclassified equipment and components will be stored by a suitable method that prevents any
reasonable possibility of theft, tampering, or access by unauthorized personnel. This does not apply to CCI.
Normally, the same protection provided for vehicles, or high value and pilferable government property, is