(1) An attended facility is manned by full or part-time operators.
(2) An unattended facility is not manned. It has some storage restrictions. For example, future
keying material cannot be stored in it.
(3) A contingency facility contains a full or a partial set of crypto equipment. The equipment is in an
operational configuration awaiting rapid activation. Keying material cannot be stored in this facility.
(4) A secure subscriber terminal is a secure facility located within another structure in which user-
operated secure voice, data, facsimile, or video circuits terminate. This facility is usually found in a permanent
headquarters. It is seldom found in a maneuver battalion or brigade area.
(5) A special multichannel terminal uses crypto equipment to protect multichannel trunks that pass
classified or unclassified information.
(6) A storage facility exists solely for string COMSEC equipment. It can be a security container
approved by the General Services Administration (GSA). If so, it must be in an area that has secondary barriers
against unauthorized access.
b. Transportable and mobile facilities are operational for periods of 90 days or less. They hold
COMSEC material on hand receipt. The commander is responsible for security management of these facilities.
Identification. External identification is limited to avoid advertising what is in a particular facility. Only
a RESTRICTED AREA sign and a warning notice are posted on a facility's door. The signs are bilingual where
a. INSCOM approve any fixed COMSEC facility used for operating, maintaining, distributing, storing,
or research-development sting and evaluation of accountable COMSEC material. Approval must be received
(1) Establishing a fixed facility.
(2) Making major alterations that affect a fixed facility's physical security.
(3) Relocating a fixed facility.
(4) Upgrading a fixed facility's classification.
b. The local commander submits the request for a fixed facility through normal command channels to
the appropriate INSCOM signal security support unit. The request contains the following information (if