(1) Fading is used at the closing and opening of gain control. It may be fast or slow with
sound being clipped in or out prior to fading in or out.
(2) Crossfade is the simultaneous fading out of one signal and fading in of another.
(3) Segue is the beginning of one musical section; or source, immediately following another
with no fading of announcement between.
(4) Down and under is the fading down of music to a low level for the entrance of a voice,
holding momentarily, and then fading the music out.
(5) Up and under is the "sneaking up" of music to a low level while an announcement is
being made, usually being followed by "music up full" after the announcement is concluded.
NOTE: Avoid crossfading with music vocals where the voice will cut in either
direction. Avoid using down and under, up and under, etc., with vocals unless as
Learning Event 2:
USE AUDIO CONSOLES
Audio consoles basically consist of the same functions and associated equipment. However, the
following equipment and associated equipment may not be included on all audio consoles.
Subassemblies. The major subassemblies for audio consoles usually consist of a power supply, a
program amplifier, a monitor amplifier, cue amplifiers, a pre-amplifier, and a relay system. Each of
these subassemblies have a special purpose in the functioning of the audio console.
a. Power Supply. The power supply is the section of the audio console which contains the
master power ON-OFF switch and fuses for the console. Its primary purpose is to furnish all the power
to the console's components.
b. Program Amplifier. The program amplifier uses a standard 600 ohm impedance and its
output level is controlled by the master attenuator. Its primary purpose is to amplify console output.
c. Monitor Amplifier. The monitor amplifier's output level is controlled by the monitor
attenuator. Its primary purpose is to amplify monitoring signals, audition signals, and talkback facilities.
d. Cue Amplifiers. The cue amplifier can be used for talkback. Its primary purpose is to
amplify signals from inputs for cueing before programming.