Learning Event 10
CALCULATE HYPERFOCAL DISTANCE
1. The hyperfocal distance varies with focal length, f/stop, and the
must all be expressed in inches or millimeters.
For this lesson, the
formula will be expressed in inches.
a. For non-scientific
(1) HFD - Hyperfocal Distance
(2) FL2 - Focal Length, Squared
NOTE: To square a number you multiply it by itself.
(3) F - f/stop
(4) CoC - Circle of Confusion
(5) 12 - Convert to feet
b. The formula is written as:
.002) with a 50mm lens focused at Infinity, and an aperture of f/8, the
formula is expressed as:
(1) The 50mm focal length lens is converted to 2 inches.
(2) The aperture is f/8.
(3) The Circle of Confusion for a 35mm format is .002 inches.
(4) The 12 in the formula converts inches into feet.
is refocused at 20.8 feet, the depth of field will extend from 10.4 feet to