Antidote, external--Flood with water immediately, then wash with salt solution.
Antidote, internal--Give copious draughts of table salt in water, followed by mustard emetic.
Then give dose of magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) and follow with milk, raw eggs, or boiled
White deliquescent granules or lumps.
CAUTION: DANGEROUS to handle.
CORROSIVE, EXTREMELY POISONOUS, and DANGEROUSLY REACTIVE. It can cause
poisoning by ingestion as well as from skin contact, and in contact with acids or acid fumes,
liberates hydrogen cyanide, a DEADLY, TOXIC, FLAMMABLE GAS and a DANGEROUS
Cyanide is a deadly poison. Avoid exposure to its fumes, and always wear rubber gloves when
handling it. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Keep it away from acid, as it reacts with
hydrochloric acid to form deadly hydrogen cyanide gas.
Antidote, external--Remove contaminated clothing, and flood affected parts with water, using
soap to wash away all traces of the poison from the skin. If eyes are affected, irrigate for at least
15 minutes with copious amounts of warm water.
Antidote, internal--Give emetic of mustard and warm water, soapy water, or a pint of 1% solution
of sodium thiosulfate solution every 15 minutes until vomiting occurs. Break an amyl nitrite
pearl in a cloth and hold lightly over patient's nose for not more than 15 to 20 seconds. This
treatment can be repeated every 5 minutes for 25 minutes. If patient is unconscious but
breathing, give artificial respiration.
A white to grayish-white crystalline powder with a sulfide odor. FLAMMABLE. DANGEROUS
FIRE HAZARD. TOXIC. It can heat up spontaneously in moist air; when burning, it evolves
sulfur dioxide fumes.
Antidote, external--Get affected personnel into fresh air; if eyes are affected, irrigate with copious
amounts of warm water.