Learning Event 4:
OPERATE AUDIOTAPE CARTRIDGE AND CASSETTE UNITS
Audio production work consists of short announcements, news inserts, and other types of brief
information that may accompany a slide, film or videotape insert.
a. Tape cartridge units can hold and play back several cartridges individually or simultaneously.
A cartridge, which contains an endless tape loop (continuous loop), is inserted into a unit. The cartridge
tape provides an immediate playback without wow and flutter.
b. To record on a cartridge unit, the following steps should be followed:
(1) Conduct preoperational check of cartridge machine in accordance with the manufacturer's
(a) Check output/input connectors.
(b) Check external sound sources.
(c) Check power cord for defects.
(2) Connect cartridge recorder/reproducer to power source and turn-on (audio console,
microphone, or turntable).
(3) Insert blank cartridge into cartridge slot.
NOTE: Lamp lights under STOP button to indicate proper position.
(4) Press the RECORD switch momentarily.
(5) Provide input from external sound sources (i.e.; test tone, music, or voice).
(6) Set input control or program level to 0db or 100% on the VU meter.
(7) Press the START button while observing performance measured.
(8) Press the STOP button.
NOTE: To record more than one element on the same cartridge, press the START
button, again observing performance measure; otherwise the tape will continue to
run until it is stopped by the automatic cue tone.
(9) Place audio console in PLAY BACK and review material for compliance to local