(5) Leave the START-RUN-STOP switch in the RUN position and the
BATTLE SHORT switch in the ON position a sufficient length of time to
ensure that the day tank assembly contains enough fuel for starting.
(6) Place the BATTLE SHORT in the OFF position.
(7) Depress the FAULT LOCATION indicator, TEST or RESET switch
and check that all FAULT LOCATION indicator lights illuminate.
(8) On tactical utility generator sets, push the MANUAL SPEED
control approximately halfway in.
b. Starting the generator.
DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE IN EXCESS OF 15 SECONDS.
ALLOW THE STARTER ASSEMBLY TO COOL AT LEAST 15
SECONDS BETWEEN CRANKING.
(1) Hold the START-RUN-STOP switch in the START position until
the engine oil pressure gauge indicates oil pressure and voltmeter
indicates voltage. (See Figure 54.)
(2) Release the START-RUN-STOP switch to the RUN position.
(3) If the ambient temperature is below 50F (10C), use of the
start aid assembly as follows may be required.
(b) Inject a shot of ether into the air cleaner assembly by
placing the PRIMER switch in the ON position and then releasing.
IF THE ENGINE FAILS TO START AFTER INJECTING
THREE SHOTS OF ETHER, CEASE OPERATION AND NOTIFY
the START-RUN-STOP switch and allow the cranking motor to cool at
least 3 minutes. Repeat steps (1) and (2).
(4) Place the